Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year, New You

Happy 2013 everyone. It's January 2nd so that means everyone is 2 days into their "resolutions"

The most common is to diet and exercise more. That's pretty vague though. How about narrowing it down to be more specific.  What exactly are you planing to do?  How are you going to get there?  More importantly, why do you want it?

Maybe instead of "exercising more," you make it a goal to get in 16 quality workouts each month. See, more specific.
Maybe you decide to cut back on liquid calories and switch to water. Make that a specific goal too. Opt for water instead of juice or soda. Start slow and eventually it will become a habit to reach for water instead of useless liquid calories.

Make your goals measurable and attainable!
SMART goals!


Specific- Write down exactly what you want to accomplish, not something vague like "exercise more"

Measurable-  Something quantitative.  Weight, inches, # of workouts, etc

Attainable- Can you reach it?  and how can you get there.

Relevant-  Why?  Emotion drives results, especially when it comes to weight loss.  There has to be a reason why you are venturing out on a journey towards your goal.  What is it? 

Time-  How long is it going to take you?  There needs to be a deadline for your goals.  A goal is just a wish with a deadline.


One of my goals this month is to get to bed earlier than 11pm. Now this probably won't happen every night, and I'm ok with that. However, I can aim to get to bed by 11pm 16 nights out of 31 this month. Not too hard and it's a quantitative goal to measure.  The why behind it, is that getting less sleep is unhealthy in so many ways, and I want to rest more so that I am energetic for the next day.  I don't want to "survive" my day by drinking several cups of coffee.( although I've switched to tea more)

Another goal of mine is to use my new foam roller and again I'll make it a quantitative goal by saying 3 times a week I will foam roll all of my tight areas which are usually my hips/IT band, my back, and my hamstrings. Seems like am easy goal to meet.  Why? This will keep my muscles loose, and keep my body functioning at a high level.  My IT band and hips tend to get tight, and when that happens i feel it all the way down my leg and into my knee.  No fun at all.  I'd rather avoid the knee pain associated with that.  Besides, who doesn't love a good back crack when you roll your back :-)

Looking forward to a great start to 2013!!  What are some of your goals for this month/year?


No comments:

Post a Comment