Thursday, September 11, 2014

How Often Do You Train?

How often should you train or workout?  There has to be a perfect number to see the results that you want, doesn't there?

Not necessarily, as it all depends on how you're training and how well you recover after training sessions.  Some bounce back quicker than others, posskbly due to their nutrition plan, sleep patterns, or sleep.  Then there are others that need two or more days between sessions to be ready. 
The point is, what is good for one person in terms of "how often," may be detrimental for another person.  Similarly, what one does for their nutrition plan may not work for you either. That's why you're and individual with individualized needs and goals. 
*This is also why the programs at AMP are all individualized*

A common question I get asked is:
"Well how often do you work out or what do you do". 

Being that I'm in semi-good shape, the thought process is that I'm going to say: "Oh, I train every day for at least 2 hours."

The reality is that, depending on the week, I may get in 2 sessions that week, most of the time I get 3 days, and sometimes I hit 4.  Rarely, if ever do I get up to 5 or more. That's probably my max.

My program is pretty well laid out although it may vary a little bit depending on how my body feels.  Typically I will have a squat day, an upper body day, and a deadlift day, each with accessory and/or conditioning exercises to compliment my goal of that particular day. 
If a 4th day is able to be worked in, it usually consists of conditioning exercises like rowing, jump roping, or working with the sled. 

You don't need to work out every day. In fact I wouldn't recommend training hard every day. The most important thing to remember is that you don't make progress during your training.  The progress, the results, come from what you do at home, what you do to recover. 

If you're not reaching your goals, maybe it's time to take a step back from how often you exercise and look at the quality of your training along with analyzing your sleep, stress management, and nutrition habits.  

Two Take-aways
"Quality, not Quanitiy."
"More is not better, better is better."

No comments:

Post a Comment